Work with us
Project Manager, Alserkal Advisory
Thursday 31 August 2023
In office, Alserkal HQ, Alserkal Avenue
Alserkal is a socially responsible and forward-thinking cultural enterprise dedicated to developing sustainable models for homegrown initiatives with a commitment to nurturing alternative ideas and impactful research with regional relevance. Founded in 2007 by Emirati businessman and patron Abdelmonem Bin Eisa Alserkal, Alserkal is renowned for its ground-breaking artistic productions, experimental approach and for the creation of culturally meaningful spaces that inspire and shape communities. Alserkal has three primary areas of activity: cultivating a creative economy in Dubai and building a collaborative network of civic-cultural institutions through its renowned cultural district, Alserkal Avenue; providing advisory services to public and private sector entities; and, supporting public artist commissions, residencies, research grants and educational programmes through its non-profit, Alserkal Arts Foundation.
Alserkal has transformed the cultural landscape of Dubai and the UAE through the creation of a thriving, region-specific community of over 70 contemporary art galleries, visual and performing arts organisations, designers and entrepreneur-led businesses at Alserkal Avenue, providing an essential platform for the development of creative industries in the region.
Alserkal utilises its collective expertise in arts initiatives and cultural production, heritage creation, community building and engagement, as well as urbanism and planning for creative industries, to guide public and private sector entities in developing sustainable and responsive business models.
About Alserkal Advisory
We are a multidisciplinary practice comprised of Alserkal’s founding team in addition to thinkers, researchers, and specialists in diverse fields from multiple geographies. Our advisory practice helps develop cultural production and establish spaces for polyphonic voices. We challenge conventional business practices, embracing a conscious approach to reimagining cultural destinations and crafting audience-specific public programmes that resonate with our communities, while also assessing our impact on society, the environment, and local economies.
Our work is collaborative and process-based, enabling a shared authority for cultural ideation through critical thinking and social agency. Our intellectual labour is grounded in an ethos of care and long-term cooperation with our artists, writers, practitioners, partners, and clients. While we seek to innovate and re-imagine artistic interventions, we are also mindful of the importance of developing strategies that ensure their longevity and sustenance.
As an independent and privately owned practice, proudly born in Dubai, we work unhindered by agendas. While working to achieve our partners’ cultural ambitions, we remain culturally sensitive to the traditions and histories of our region and beyond. This lived understanding of regional and local dynamics constitutes a cornerstone of our research-driven, context-sensitive approach to any project we pursue. We select projects diligently, ensuring our expertise and clients’ expectations align to produce meaningful, history-making outcomes that reflect our thinking, values and ethos.
Alserkal Advisory specialises in building multi-disciplinary programmes addressing themes pertinent to contemporary dialogue. We believe in artistic interventions conceptualised and designed with critical engagement and content in mind, becoming an empowering place for both local and extended audiences. The Project Manager is responsible for successful delivery of programmes for the client.
- Act as project manager for client project, handling all planning, coordination, execution and budgeting.
- Execute ambitious, experimental, and innovative interdisciplinary projects that bring together visual arts, music, performance, design, dance, theatre, commissions, public events, and special projects.
- Manage planning and logistics for the cultural production project assigned, ensuring deadlines and budgets are in place, and that all elements of the project are running on schedule and delivered in a timely manner
- Responsible for the delivery of strong A to Z events management offering.
- Forecast and manage project budgets, payments and prepare and present weekly / monthly budget reports as required
- Ensure all purchase orders are routed through the company ERP (SAGE) and follow the approved authority matrix and company procurement policy and process.
- Liaise with and coordinate all contracts and logistics with partners, external curators or artists
- Assist with logistics of Advisory projects, including travel and hospitality
- Plan, brief and liaise with Marketing, Operations, and Finance teams to ensure the smooth delivery of all programmes
- Prepare progress reports for each project and debrief / post-event reports for all programmes and projects as agreed with the Directors and with the client
- Support Director on Advisory business development to achieve annual target via proposal management/development, new contacts, and RFP assessments
- Manage project teams to ensure efficiency in delivery
Required skills + experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a fast-paced, high-volume environment in a related field
- Educated to a Bachelor’s degree level or equivalent and holding relevant professional qualifications.
- Arabic speaker preferred
- A proven track record in project management and the delivery of projects with budgets exceeding AED 1,000,000
- A demonstrable understanding of, and commitment to arts and culture within MENA and Internationally
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent budget-keeping and reporting skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Work experience in the GCC or wider region desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to develop positive, cooperative relationships across functional boundaries.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work within an ambiguous constantly changing environment
Position type and expected hours of work
This is a short-term position from August 2023 – December 2023. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, from 10am to 6pm. Saturdays and overtime might be required during intense periods and/or during special projects and events.
This job description summarizes the main key responsibilities of your role but there may be other reasonable requests made and other responsibilities included from time to time.
Duration:Immediate start, initial 6-month contract to be reviewed.